HoustonPBS Legacy Circle
Lead the Journey. Inspire Discovery. Shape the Future.
Make a Legacy Gift to Channel 8
Determining your estate plans today can have many benefits, especially the peace of mind from knowing that your interests and wishes are recorded and will become a reality. We invite you to include HoustonPBS in your estate plans. Become part of those who have provided for the future of HoustonPBS by making a legacy gift today. You will have satisfaction that others in the future will benefit from your generosity. Legacy gifts vary widely in size, form and purpose but each in its way adds strength to HoustonPBS. Please check with your professional advisor for the best plan for you.
Forms of bequests
Specific Bequest – designate a specific dollar amount or certain property, like real estate or artwork.
Percentage Bequest – designate a set percentage of an estate to be distributed to HoustonPBS. Other Ways to Give
Charitable Remainder Trusts
As an alternative to an outright bequest, you may wish to consider establishing a charitable remainder trust during your lifetime or through your estate plan. These arrangements have special tax advantages and can provide income for you or other beneficiaries. A charitable remainder trust names one or more beneficiaries for life or for a term of years, after which time the assets go to HoustonPBS.
Charitable Gift Annuities
With a gift annuity, you simultaneously make a charitable gift to HoustonPBS and provide guaranteed payments for life to one or two persons. If you are single, the payments will continue for the duration of your life. If you are married, you may choose a joint-and-survivor annuity that continues as long as either spouse lives. It is also possible to provide a lifetime annuity for someone other than yourself and your spouse.
Charitable Lead Trusts
A charitable lead trust provides HoustonPBS with a steady income for a term of years of the life of an individual. The charitable lead trust is essentially the opposite of a charitable remainder trust. When the trust terminates, the appreciated principal goes to your family, usually with substantially reduced gift and estate tax cost.
Gifts of Life Insurance
Life insurance can offer an attractive way to leverage low premium payments to make a major gift to HoustonPBS. If you name Channel 8 as the irrevocable beneficiary and owner of your policy, you obtain an immediate charitable tax deduction.
Gifts of Cash
Making a donation of cash is as simple as writing a check or authorizing a charge on your credit card. From your standpoint, it's no fuss, no bother.
Gifts of Securities
Stock that has increased in value is one of the most popular assets used for charitable giving, once it has been held for a minimum of a year. Making a gift of securities to the station offers you the chance to help Channel 8 while realizing many important benefits for yourself.
Gifts of Closely Held Stock
A donation of your closely held stock can be a fine way for you to make a sizable charitable contribution while realizing valuable tax benefits.
Gifts of Retirement Plan Assets
If you're like many Americans, your financial future will likely revolve around your retirement plan assets. To maximize the value of a retirement account, consider making a lifetime gift of its after-tax values to a tax-exempt deferred giving plan.
2013 IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts
MAKING A GIFT FROM AN IRA TO
In January 2013, the President signed the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 into law. As has been the case since 2006, the legislation once again permits tax-free charitable rollover gifts to KUHF News 88.7, Classical 91.7, or HoustonPBS directly from IRA accounts. Please contact the Office of Gift Planning at 713-743-8680 if you have any questions.
IRA Charitable Rollover
- Permits donors age 70 1/2 and older to make tax-free charitable gifts directly from their IRAs.
- Charitable IRA rollover gifts cannot exceed $100,000 for a given tax year.
- Must be outright gifts only. Charitable IRA rollover gifts cannot be used to establish life income gifts such as charitable gift annuities or charitable remainder trusts.
- Charitable IRA rollover gifts made by February 1, 2013 may be counted retroactively for the 2012 tax year.
- Charitable IRA rollover gifts made by December 31, 2013 may be counted for the 2013 tax year.
- A donor who took a distribution from an IRA in December 2012, may make a contribution to KUHF News 88.7, Classical 91.7, or HoustonPBS before February 1, 2013 and treat this as a charitable IRA rollover gift for the 2012 tax year.
- Must transfer directly from an IRA.
- Must transfer the gift outright to one or more qualified charities.
If you do not qualify to take advantage of this new legal provision, but would like to discuss other ways of meeting your philanthropic goals using a retirement account, please contact the stations at:
HoustonPBS, Stephanie Carroll, 713-743-8458,
- The transfer generates neither taxable income nor a tax deduction, so you can benefit even if you do not itemize your tax deductions.
- The transfer may count against your unsatisfied required minimum distributions.
- You may transfer up to $100,000 directly from your IRA, which allows you to make a significant gift and gives you the flexibility to create an improved tax situation.
STEPS FOR MAKING A GIFT
The process for making a gift using your IRA is straightforward - but it is important to exercise care to assure that your transaction is completed correctly. It is especially important to avoid having the funds distributed to you personally, as this could trigger an income tax.
Important note: Check with your IRA administrator to confirm they have established procedures and to check if there is a minimum amount for this type of gift. It is also important to check with your IRA administrator to ensure they are prepared for your request.
To make a gift from your IRA:
- Contact your IRA administrator to ensure the company is prepared to handle your request.
- Send your IRA administration company a letter (see sample below) requesting the distribution.
- Send HoustonPBS and/or KUHF a copy of your letter so we can expect the distribution check and deposit it as you have requested. Also, we want to acknowledge you properly. Please send the copy to:
- Association for Community Broadcasting
Attn: Stephanie Carroll
Houston, Texas 77204-0008
STOCK TRANSFER FROM YOUR IRA
If the advisor plans to make the distribution with shares of stock out of a mutual fund, please have him/her contact Rick Figueroa for specific transfer instructions.
UBS Financial Services Inc.
Attention: Rick Figueroa
5065 Westheimer Rd, Suite 1000
Houston, TX 77056
Office: (713) 985-3463
If you have any questions or need more information about the stated steps, please contact:
HoustonPBS, Stephanie Carroll, 713-743-8458, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are always happy to work with you to ensure that your gift reflects your passions and priorities at the station. Thank you for the bighearted consideration.
It is important that you share your desires with HoustonPBS. We want to welcome you into the Legacy Circle (a group of special donors who have selected to include HoustonPBS in their estate plans), invite you to special events and keep you abreast of any changes at the station while helping us with our long-term planning.
For your convenience, below is sample language that we encourage you to use. I give and bequeath (the sum of $____ or a specific asset) or (a percent of the rest, residue and remainder of my residuary estate) to the Association for Community Broadcasting, in support of HoustonPBS, 4343 Elgin, Houston, TX 77204-0008, for its general purpose. Tax ID number 74-16770740.
Mailing Address: Stephanie Carroll, HoustonPBS, 4343 Elgin, Houston, Texas 77204-0008.
Please feel free to contact Stephanie at email@example.com or 713-743-8458 if you have any questions or to notify us of your estate plans. Thanks for your consideration.
Houston Public Media, Stephanie Carroll, 713-743-8458